Episode 1 – The Arctic Train

Travelling on the night train from Stockholm to Boden has a mutable dreamlike quality. Sitting in the warm, cosy cocoon of the train carriage watching…

Episode 2 – The Hole

We lived in a lovely neighbourhood that is now behind the fence and torn down. This neighbourhood was the best thing I knew. We always had family and friends around.

Episode 3 – The Sami Reindeer Herder

The expansion of the forest industry increases constantly, the age of the forest only decreases and the pace of harvesting quickens all the time; the forest and lichen can never return.

Episode 4 – Reindeer Marking

The journey in the Arctic has now reached Norrbotten, a region the indigenous Sámi people call Sápmi which extends beyond the borders of Norway, Sweden, Russia and Finland.

Episode 5 – The Sami farmer

In Vikosjärviu, on the border between Finland and Sweden, time goes by differently. Away from the noisy immediacy of big cities, time slips between the swaying pastures and its delicate purple flowers that cover the fields. The clock dances with the ringing of the cowbells carried by the reindeer.

Episode 7 – The Coastal Sami Artist

“I am a Coastal Sámi artist and my soundscapes mirror this landscape. I am a keeper and a renewer of the coastal music tradition and identity” The Sámi are often referred to as reindeer herders, but only 8% of the Sámi work with reindeers. The other 92% do all the things that are generally done […]

Episode 8 – The Horse Farmer

Travelling on the night train from Stockholm to Boden has a mutable dreamlike quality. Sitting in the warm, cosy cocoon of the train carriage watching…

Episode 9 – The Arctic Scientist

In April 2017, after spending four days filming in Restad Gård, in what it was to be the largest refugee accommodation in Sweden, my colleague Patricio Burbano and I jumped on the Arctic train in Gothenburg heading toward the Arctic. I had asked Patricio, an accomplished camera and writer originally from Ecuador to accompany me […]

Episode 10 – The Woman of Sakajärvi

anna karin the woman of Sakajärvi

As Khaled slowly walks in a silent town covered in snow, his journey has almost come to an end. He’s now in Sakajärvi, northern Sweden, where he meets horse farmer Anna-Karin Nordvall. People in Sakajärvi are also facing displacement as their homes are at risk of being demolished to expand the local copper mine. Some […]

Episode 11 – The Sami Grandmother

Britta Mangi lives in Kiruna, the most northern city in Sweden, and is steadily preparing for a big change. Just above the arctic circle, Kiruna is set to relocate two miles from its current position after years of iron mining underneath the municipality has rendered the earth geologically unable to support the weight of human […]